Sunday, February 10, 2013

Phase One Complete


Me
: "Hi. My name is Kelly. I'm from the States."
New NI Acquaintance: "Hiya. Very good! So, where abouts in the states are ya from?"
Me: "I'm from Arkansas, in the south."
New NI Acquaintance: 1 of 3 replies:
1. "Ah, Arkansas! I've never heard of it..."
2. "Arkansas... now what state is that in?"
3. "You sound like you're from Texas..."


Hello again!
 Two weeks have passed since my last blog, and I have so much to say that I don't know where to start! I have met so many people and done so many new things in the past two weeks! One chapter of my journey is over and another is about to begin. I am done with classes for nine weeks, and tomorrow begins teaching placement out in the schools for the next six weeks! I will be taking two buses and a short walk to Oakwood Integrated Primary every day Monday through Friday. This first week will be a bit slow so that I can get to know my teacher and students, but after that I will be teaching two lessons a day. I'll be in the schools all day every day, so I'm sure it will all become normal quickly. I am so excited to meet the kids and to get started! I know it will be a challenge, but I will gain so much experience from being here. I will know a lot more about my class and what I'll be teaching after this first week.

To give yous a wee update on what the past two weeks have looked like for me, I'll give you a brief overview. I had classes Monday through Wednesday both weeks, covering reading and writing, "Personal Development & Mutual Understanding," and different subject areas within the Northern Ireland Curriculum: Science, PE (dance), Geography, and History. Most of the material is very similar to what I've been learning at Ozarks, but the formatting and various terms are different than what I am used to. Making ten lesson plans and teaching them every week will be a great experience to take home to Ozarks and to apply to my future career, and I look forward to being able to share some of the details of that soon!
Other than classes, I've taken all of the free time I have had these past two weeks to get to know more people on campus and to explore Belfast and even a few other places within Northern Ireland. From what I have experienced so far, this is a beautiful country, and it is full of some incredibly friendly and welcoming people. My experience here would be worth very little if it wouldn't be for all of the great people I have met who have been so willing to show me around and include me in all their banter!
(By the way, for those of you that have asked, there have been a few people that say they love my accent, but I mostly just get made fun of for continually saying "y'all".)


There have been some great afternoons with beautiful weather, allowing me to see some neat things around the city! A few would include reading Narnia in the C.S. Lewis Reading Room in Queen's library, seeing the Belfast Castle, attending five different churches, visiting the Ulster Museum, milkshakes at "Jenz", exploring St. George's Market, going to church and having a family dinner with my flatmate in Ballymena, eating with a group at TGI Fridays, having coffee in a Jazz Bar, seeing the lights of Belfast (from the castle at night, a high point in the city, and during a walk by the sea side), and of course I've shopped at Tesco's more times than I can count by now.
And most recently, I went home with a friend, Jayne, to Newcastle, where we went to the cinema, walked through Tollymore Forest, and drove through the Mourne Mountains and by the coast.

I've also got to try some new foods: pavlova, potato bread, mars bar, pooh bear ice cream, TAYTO crisps, Belfast Bap, Yorkshire bread, Turkish delight, and SO MUCH TEA!

Sometimes I literally get butterflies in my tummy and chill bumps on my arms because I am so in love with everything here...

  A few favorite moments captured from the past two weeks:

Berts Jazz Bar

The Crown Bar (Oldest Bar in Beflast)


At Belfast Castle

Tollymore Forest

Belfast Castle

Belfast signs all throughout the city

Ice Egg experiment in Science Class

Spaghetti tower in Science

C.S. Lewis Reading Room in Queen's Library

Tollymore Forest

Potato Bread

Buying Turkish Delight in St. George's Market

St. Patrick's "Grave" in Downpatrick

Belfast City lights at night

Queen's University

Belfast City Hall at night


Trying a traditional Belfast Bap in St. George's market

Christian Union and Erasmus/International students at iCafe


A wee bit more Northern Ireland slang for yous:

Banter: Good time/Fun
"Who's up for some banter tonight?"

Dander: Walk
"Let's go for a dander." 

Faffin': Messing around
"I couldn't get anything done because I kept faffin' around.

Toilet: Restroom
"Where's the toilet?"

Terms to know:
  • Petrol: Gasoline
  • Biscuit: Cookie
  • Crisp: Chip
  • Chip: Fries
  • Spud: Potato
  • Fizzy Drink: Soda

I'm here for an education and to experience the culture here in Northern Ireland. But, like every other time in my life, I can not deny the spiritual aspect that this experience has brought into my life. God is so present here that it is undeniable. He is the explanation for the people I've been connected with, the beauty through everything around me, and the incredible joy I feel here. Each day I am here I feel so grateful for my life and for this opportunity.


Thank you to everyone at home who continues to support me being here, and thank you to everyone here in Northern Ireland that has made my experience so wonderful so far.

More to come!!




"Oh give thanks to the Lord; call upon his name;
    make known his deeds among the peoples! 
Sing to him, sing praises to him;
    tell of all his wondrous works! Glory in his holy name;
    let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice! 
 Seek the Lord and his strength;
    seek his presence continually! 
 Remember the wondrous works that he has done,
    his miracles, and the judgments he uttered, 
 O offspring of Abraham, his servant,
    children of Jacob, his chosen ones!"
-Psalm 105:4

No comments:

Post a Comment